Friday, November 13, 2009

Hole

For Rahul Pithouse (born 16/09/09)

1.
I lift up my spade
and fall right to sleep.
The steel cuts though grass
and settles deep.

This ain't the first time
I thread upon this ground.
I've been here before,
my old footprints abound.

The serpents and critters
know well my sole.
They pay me no mind and
let me dig my hole.

It might take me two hours,
might take me three.
Got to dig it such that
it arrives at my knee.

2.
I dig at night
when the sun cannot watch.
I still the dark
with a flask-full of scotch.

Sometimes I hit a root,
othertimes some bone.
The dirt loves company,
never find it alone.

When the mood takes me
I whistle a tune.
While the black earth
I continue to spoon.

I like me a ballad,
I like me a song.
Old time music
helps move it along

3.
I ain't afraid of sweat
but I can't dig all night.
My belly's howling
with hunger and spite.

I unpack a sandwich
I picked up in town.
Found a maggot in it,
got it on markdown

I eat on a pile of dirt
and admire my work.
Done this a million times
and each time I smirk.

There's nothing as pretty
as desolation.
And digging a hole far
from civilization.

4.
Some folks will tell you
a hole ain't but air.
Now for that kind of talk
I don't much care.

A hole is what you gets
when there's nothing else to be got.
Its what you find
when the world begins to blot.

I ain't saying nothing
a sensible man don't know.
But most can't tell
their ass from their elbow.

I pick up my spade
and fall right to sleep.
The steel cuts through dirt
and settles deep.