Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Victoria Williams: 0072

Damn. Mass-media is selling everyone a lie. There is no easy way to make it without any talent. And it’s not going to happen the way I dreamed either. You can’t just walk through the wrong door on your way to a job interview, run into Lenin who stands at the French windows and waves his hands all over imperialist Russia and says You take it. And I think for a moment and decide that nations are like lovers, and once they are beautiful and deeply – maybe irreversibly – flawed, I must have them. Oh god, oh god…

But once again I knock on the right door and I enter and sit in front of a pin-stripe suit and two enormous sweat patches who recline and say to me This has better be important, or at the very least interesting… and This is the best thing you’ve ever written, and the worst thing I’ve ever read.

(But maybe I wake up with Siberian snow still in my hair, and ah what then…?)