Monday, February 15, 2010

Victoria Williams: 0039

Dear Friendless Loners of the World,

Alright, that’s it. I’m addressing the hardcore embittered division. We all know we don’t want each other, but can we go on pretending that we don’t need each other too?

Listen, I’m ill and a strange mist is affecting my vision. I don’t think I’ll live to complete the manifesto so here’s the thing: If we staged a mass protest I don’t think anyone would listen. If we organised a mass suicide would anyone notice? Would they?

But what if suddenly we all started carrying membership cards – or is that too obvious? Maybe if we all had a special tattoo? Or badge? In any case, what if we suddenly had a universal symbol under which to unite? We all know there is no conspiracy between us, but it will be fairly easy to convince the general public that there is. And you know what - it will drive them crazy.

We will nod to each other on the street, and maybe wink and smile enigmatically. We will be coy and infuriating like so many virgins. And passers-by will look on puzzled. They will be enraged by our aloofness, they will be jealous of us and our unity, and maybe, they will also desire us?

So I think it’s time some of us starting taking our personal hygiene seriously again. Yes I admit, I am as guilty as the rest of you… My lonesome peregrines, we are all in this together and there is work to do. Now who wants in?

Your Glorious Leader,
V.W. Williams