Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Victoria Williams: 0040

Will people please stop asking me about work. Please just stop. I am trying to find a job - trying so hard, but I just can’t find someone to employ me. Maybe it’s because I’m impersonal and aloof, or because I’m not very photogenic, or because I’ve taken to dressing as a Polyana peasant in mint green sleeves and blue bolero with gold piping (divine, divine). But these people are so blind not to see the raw materials I’m offering, and next time I’m going to take them by the lapels and TELL THEM:

“I don’t want to work in your stupid store/factory/serving hatch – just give me your money and I will use it for the greatest good; the good of humanity. I will become the Holy Fool*, dressed in masks and chains of iron, wandering the countryside, improvising prayers, performing the sacred dances and entering states of religious ecstasy, delivering alms to the poor - saving the land from the antichrists. I would also not mind being a shepherd. I will do all this out of love for the people, and the world, and costumes, yet you will not even let me stack your shelves for a pittance. *Sigh* Do you hear me? *SIGH*

*Pictured